Bombolone: Italian Donut Recipe by Olivigna
Did you know? Bombolone literally translates as big bombs which is such a perfect name for big round donut jam-packed with an irresistible filling!
Makes around 20
- Deep fryer OR Large deep pan/pot of oil brought up to 170°C
- 250g of flour
- 30g of sugar
- ½ cup of milk
- 30g of butter, melted and cooled
- 8g of powdered yeast mixed with a little warm water
- A good dash of cooking passion!
- Mix together to form a smooth, firm dough.
- Pinch approximately 25gm of dough (about the size of a walnut) and roll until smooth. Repeat.
- Leave the dough balls to prove for 30 minutes.
- Place into the deep fryer or deep pot/pan and turn frequently to ensure a consistent colour. Once golden – this will take just a minute or two – remove and pat dry with kitchen towel.
- Roll in cinnamon sugar or dust with icing sugar, then splice with lemon curd or Nutella.
- Serve with fresh local strawberries if in season.